Monday, August 21, 2006

Another great week-end...

I spent Friday volunteering at the Plaza of Nations collecting donations from the participants of the Week-end to End Breast Cancer. All afternoon in the sun. It was hot. It was registeration day and I was told it would take the participants a minimum of two hours to get through the whole process - first they line up to watch a "safety video" which lasts 20 or 25 minutes, and then they come to us if they have any last-minute donations (many of them did, so that's another line-up), and then they actually register (yet another line-up), getting their name tags and such, and then they have to go to tent assignment (since they sleep in tents)...all that just to participate. They pay an incription fee ($150 or $200 or something) and they must fundraise $2000 to participate in the walk. This one woman had only collected around $1000; she couldn't fork up $1000 on the spot, so she was going to spread it over five months. I felt so sorry for her. I almost felt like telling her not to do it!!! $211/month for five months....that's a chunk of money from a paycheque to hand over to a charity.

On Saturday I went to paintball for the first time in my life. It's a type of war game where you're put in teams, led to one side of a "field" (although it's full of trees and bushes and built hiding spots), and then you must "eliminate" the other team (who's hiding on the other side) by hitting each player using your gun, which shoots balls of paint that splatters on the enemy, thus making it clear they're "dead," and therefore must stop playing. We also played capture the flag, where you're still being shot at and trying to shoot the other team's players but the added bonus is you must bring the other's flag back to your homebase. It gets the adrenaline going. I thought it was a pretty cool game, except for the fact that I always got hit before being able to shoot anybody. I didn't kill anybody. And it's not because I didn't move. I did move in all of the games except one, where I sat and protected homebase - where the flag was - and not a single player from the other team got anywhere near us!!! Not my fault!!! It was cool because there were enough people from our group (around 20) to get our own field just for us. It was a hot and sweaty but very happy day.

And I have two war wounds on my chest to show off!!! James gets my right boob and Jeremy my left...thanks guys!!!

I feel bad because I killed a spider while taking a shower the other day. I did everything possible to prevent it - even stopped showering! - but the stupid creature ran into the water, crunched up into a ball, and then fell into the drain...poor thing.... I don't like it when spiders die. I really don't like spiders - they scare me! - but I hate it when I watch them being killed like that. They're so practical, interesting, even amazing (have you seen them make a web??!!??!!!

I hope to have pictures up soon. I really didn't take that many pictures this summer. A lot less than I would've liked. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home