Friday, December 30, 2005

Vacation!

Finally finished my exams today! Yay! Hopefully there won't be too many complications, seeing as a few students didn't show up...I'm not sure what to do about them. Bob told me I should give them a "5" and not a "0" just because it's the New Year and everybody should get something...haha. Hilarious.

I think the funniest blooper that I can remember from my exams is when one of my students told me earnestly: "I watch my father do his business." A little TMI (too much information)...

There were many others but I forget. It was a tiring experience, some of my students really get on my nerves, but most of them are sincere and really nice. I had a few of them sweat profusely in front of me, it could be quite awkward. One of my students came in and asked me if I was tired because his classmates had said that I was smiling during all their exams and he thought I must be tired... Sometimes they'd tell me the funniest things. These young people have no counsellors so I think a lot of them are happy to have someone to talk to that's a little distant from their lives. On the other hand, many of them don't dare to tell me anything and that's also annoying, seeing as they're there to speak. Sometimes I'm pulling teeth:

Me: what are you doing for the winter holidays?
Student: Ummm...(after a minute) going back home.
Me: Where is your home?
S: Hebei province.
Me: What will you do there?
S (after a minute): see my parents.

And the student could be shaking from nervousness...I feel bad. It sucks that these students with all different levels and abilities are stuck together in one class. Oh well.

I can't view my blogger again. I think the freebie website my editor set up for me has expired. Sucks. With my cousin we just discussed all the websites he can view from vancouver and i can't view from china...all the ones about Taiwan and Tibet and Chinese political outcasts/exiles. Because it doesn't affect my everyday life I often forget what the government is capable of.

Making plans for New Year's. Probably going to a Russian restaurant for dinner and then clubbing, since there's not much else to do. OK, hope all's well with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home