Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Up-date

It's getting colder and colder. As the site says, it feels like -16!!! The wind makes everything ten times worse. I have to run from building to building to keep warm. I still need to buy a hat.

This morning my students are taking an exam, so I don't need to go to class! Luxury...

I'm realizing how there's hardly any time left until the end of school...so excited!!! Many of you are already finished, or are going to be finished this week. But remember, you didn't get a week off in October like I did! And what an adventure that was!

For the first time the cleaning lady's going to come to my apartment today. Everyone else has had a cleaning lady come every week, but I had to ask for her to come to my place for some reason.

I hardly think about Christmas here. Go into the city centre and there are huge Christmas displays in fancy banks and shopping malls; there are decorations in the restaurants in and around campus; but I really can't wrap my mind around the fact that Christmas is in a couple of weeks... Next week I plan to teach and sing a few Christmas carols with my students. My singing has improved since I got here, thanks to kareeokeeing (I'm joking of course!).

There'll be a gift exchange (no gift should be more than 30 yuan = $5 Cdn) at an American teacher's apartment Sunday (Christmas) morning, but other than that, we don't have any concrete plans. Not sure we'll even find a Christmas tree! However a few from the French crew have or will be receiving care packages from home and I do believe there's foie gras on the menu. Another reason hanging out with French people rocks: we constantly talk about food and sometimes we're treated to eating French food straight from France (we've had saucisson a few times).

Oh right, almost forgot. I started Chinese class last night. I'm in a class with Gaetan and Loic. There's just the three of us and the teacher so we get plenty of practice. It's everyday from 5-7 PM, which kind of sucks but there was no other time that suited us all. In our first lesson the teacher started writing on the board directly - we can't write in Chinese! Much of it was in our book already, but still... She asked us a lot of questions that we didn't always understand but in general we got the gist. She wrote down many two-sentence dialogues about our age, our boyfriend/girlfriend status (very important!), if our parents were well, where we ate...so much new information!!! Crazy! But it's so cool to learn Chinese, I'm very excited, although a little anxious about the speed at which we're learning... Apparently we have a test on Wednesday!!! Okay, enough exclamation points; it's as if I were sixteen again.

Check out James' site for pictures...it's cool seeing what he looks like now.

And Lucas' webcomic is revealing an awesome plot twist this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home