Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas

Well, I'm preparing a "Christmas class" this week, seeing as it's already Christmas next week-end...crazy!!! And as I was doing my research I found this site that denounces the rumour that the modern image of Santa Claus was created by Coca Cola (it concludes that it was simply perpetuated and maybe cemented by Coke's early ad campaigns).

I'm sooooo tired because last night we went to a reggae concert at a club in Sanlitun (foreign bar district). The music was sensational and we had an awesome time - there was a huge group of us: German, French, American, British, Chinese, even Russian this time!!!

Yang Yang left me his MP3 player and I've become a music addict - I'm gonna hafta get me one of those gadgets! This morning as I contemplated life from the blissfulness of my bed I listened to a slew of songs and felt wonderful....

A hospital burned in a north-eastern province of China; 33 patients died...

Just finished watching a Chinese movie about Tibetan antelopes. In the 1980s-1990s there were lots of poachers who destroyed the antelope population from millions to less than 10 000. In 1993 an unofficial civilian group banded to try and stop the poachers. They worked for five years, during which time many of their members died trying to save the antelope (wth is the plural of antelope???). One of their members was even killed by a group of poachers and a reporter from Beijing was sent to Tibet to record the group's activities - how they tried to stop the poachers. This movie is the couple of weeks he spends with them and the perils they run into. There's this one scene where a guy is literally "eaten" by quicksand - it will stay in our brains for a long time...it was really impressive. Took my breath away. The Tibetan antelope is one of the five Olympic mascots for the 2008 Games in beijing.

I'm sorry there haven't been many pictures to keep you entertained. I know that's a main attraction, but I still haven't gotten Katia's memory card... One day, and then there'll be pages and pages and pages of pictures!!! yay!!

BIG NEWS: Lucas TdS got himself a full-time permanent position as a music teacher in an elementary school in Burnaby (near Lougheed Mall). CONGRATS!!! This is amazing news, especially since he just started subbing this year. He starts after the break, in January. I'm so happy for him!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline!
Finally I'm able to take some time and look at your blog. I really enjoy looking at the pics--the ski trip looked fun. Sounds like you're having fun with listening to music, watching antelope movies and all:) Hope the Chinese classes are going well. Thanks for your X-mas card. I'm in the process of writing mine so you'll be getting one from me eventually (not sure how long it takes to send mail over there). Anyhow,take care. Bye for now,
Serena

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the plural of antelope is antelope :—D
claire

12:49 AM  
Blogger tedzsee said...

i think it's antelopseses.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

home, home on the range, where the deer & the antelope play....
claire

3:39 PM  
Blogger tedzsee said...

dude, they are SO talking about ONE deer and ONE antelope.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

OK, just so you all know, Claire Grover is my sister who lives in Paris. She also goes by the name CG I think. I think the antelope comments are old, old, OLD by now.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home