Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Exams

This week is exam week. I gave my last class Monday afternoon. I'm pretty happy about everything. I can never be fully satisfied. I have the impression that my students didn't learn much of anything, but oh well, I guess I shouldn't blame myself.

So I give exams from 8-12, then 1-4 PM everyday. I sit in a classroom or office and have one student come in and sit in front of me and I ask them a question at a time and they answer for as long as possible until time's up. I see each student for about five minutes, but it's more like four... I've met a few students for the first time, since they've never come to class. It's interesting. My marking is hap-hazard. I'd like to think there's some continuity, but I doubt it. It changes from day to day, class to class, mood to mood.

My Chinese classes are going well. I haven't been studying the new words for the past week, so I can't read. Tonight I studied hard but there are still many new words I don't recognize. This doesn't stop me from loving Chinese school. :-)

Since exams and Chinese school aren't particularly photogenic, here are a few pix that I never showed you from one of our infamous Friday-night parties. It was late in November or early December that these pictures were taken...

From left to right: Loic (French teacher), Bob (Chinese friend), Gaetan, Katherine (Loic's student).
Loic, me & Bob.
Bob, me, Carl (Matt's Chinese friend - Matt's an American English teacher) & Tom (British English teacher who used to be a journalist).
I went to see some of my students go to a special karate class with a sensai (instructor) from Japan. It was pretty cool. I went to take a picture of him at the end of the lesson and he wanted me to be in his pic!!! So there I am...I felt pretty awkward, can't you tell?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home