Friday, August 26, 2005

lunch

I'm pretty much eating one big meal a day... Usually lunch.

This morning I went for a walk around the neighbourhood. I spent quite some time at another university campus where I took a picture and there was a "lens error" with my camera and my heart stopped while I thought, "great, within my first few days here my camera stops working." Luckily it looks like it was just a glitch. I turned it on and off a few times and it works fine now. The people outside my university are poor. There are alleyways that I don't want to venture down myself. Although they're picturesque in a way, I don't want to take out my camera to take a picture, not because I'm afraid of thieves but because I'm embarassed to be taking such pictures. One day I'll get the courage, though. I guess I'll have to if I want to report my trip... People stare. Especially construction workers who aren't from the city and parents (older generation). It can be disconcerting at times. But whatever.

This morning I got my work schedule. I'm working 4 extra hours (and getting paid extra too, but not much) so I'll be working 20 hours a week, which is a lot (10 classes), but it means only preparing for 3 classes because most of them are repeats, if you see what I mean. I teach the same level repeatedly, so it's not so bad. I also found out I have nearly two months vacation in the winter. Part of it is because I don't need to prepare for class because there are two weeks of exams. Fun times. That'll be in January.

I was given a desk today, in a shared office with other teachers. I took the CD player that was left on my desk by the previous foreign teacher who's now in Thailand, apparently. This one teacher gave me candy, this other one gave me a Chinese snack thing, and then they gave me this really expensive although quite useless glass tea mug that I'm only supposed to use on "special occasions" because it's so expensive. The teachers told me the dean had given it to the office as a gift of appreciation and now they were giving it to me. They're so generous! They give me everything! One of the teachers gave me a stack of China Dailys although very out of date (January and February of 2005) - China Dailys are the English local newspapers.

One of the English teachers wants to learn French so we said we'd do a language exchange: French for Mandarin. We'll see how that works.

All the teachers went to some meeting around 11 AM and I stayed at my desk hoping they'd come back later and I'd get a free lunch. Sure enough, they came back at noon and there was a big lunch at the dining hall above the pool, which means nothing to you guys, but that's the way we call it here. Apparently all the staff from our department was there, so it was a big deal. Everyone's super friendly and super supportive and I like them all. I ate my fill.

This afternoon I didn't do much. I went to the supermarket and didn't have enough cash to buy an iron. The card cashier (there's only one) wasn't open at that time. Argh! I prepared my first class, which starts next Monday. I only have four classes (two on Monday, two on Tuesday) next week, and they're all the same level, so I only prepare for one class (which I did this afternoon). The week after next, five more classes will be added (all the same level). And in the third week of September another class will be added. So I get to ease into working mode. Nice.

I went swimming in the evening. It's a whole 20 yuan (over $4!) to go swimming. The theory is that there are over 8000 students and if it was any cheaper the pool would be too busy. I bought a swimming cap. People stared at me in my bathing suit. Whatever. I swam for about twenty minutes. It felt good. Gave me a rush. My ears have been plugged since. Oh well.

I heard English in my hallway and met the American girl who lives across from me: Melanie. She's from Arizona and she lived in Germany last year and will probably go back next year. She's typical American: loud, sure of herself, and quite in-your-face about everything. She's 21. I also met Guillaume, a French 21-year-old who speaks English well. All three of us went to dinner at a local "diner" - I tell you they have everything here, even American diners with the retro music and Marilyn Munroe and Elvis Presley pictures and everything! This was Melanie's idea... I only had a drink because I wasn't all that hungry and I've got left-overs from lunch waiting for me at home. The three of us trooped to the supermarket together: there's strength in numbers. We bought hangers and pots and sponges and various household things. We were the last out of the store - everyone was waiting for us. It was terrible! They turned off the lights right after us and the army - seriously, it's an army; there's so many workers!!! - of workers trooped passed us in their uniforms as they were called off duty.

So I've met people. Today was the day I met people. And Guillaume speaks some Mandarin - he gets by. He's been learning for a couple of years (in France), although he says it's super hard to communicate here (in Beijing). Many students have arrived. On Monday and Tuesday there was hardly anybody on campus, but students are continually arriving and the place is filling up. Classes start next Monday after all. Most of the foreign students are Korean. Melanie's roommate is Korean. I'm glad I'm getting out of there at the end of September. I mean, it's comfortable and definitely liveable, but it'll be nice to have a fridge and a computer in my room. Plus an extra room. All to myself.

I continue to watch the English channel for news of the outside world. There's lots going on.

I hope you guys are doing well. I hate the fact that I can't look at my own blog. Crazy. I tried on the teacher's computer and it doesn't work. This means I can't read your comments. Oh well. It's an opportunity to send me emails!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Typical American"? That's not nice! :)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home