Thursday, October 13, 2005

Smelly

It's funny, everyone told me China was smelly. I didn't really think about it the first month I was here. Seriously, I didn't smell anything. Then Dave and Geoff arrived and started commenting about the smell, and since then, it's true, it's pretty smelly around here. And there are times when the stink's pretty bad...

Today was so beautiful - nice sunny autumn day. Windy at times, but super nice. The leaves on the trees were rustling, just like they do where I come from.

I've kind of been feeling just a leetle homesick these past couple of days. It's so much more convenient, so much more comfortable in Vancouver...everything's easier. But then again, I am enjoying myself here. It's been nearly two months now. Doesn't feel like it. In some ways time has passed super quickly, in other ways I feel like I've lived here forever. The cool thing about this place is that you're always discovering new things. Everything is still new.

I'm also still meeting people, which is always exciting.

The leaks haven't been dealt with and supposedly I'm entertaining tomorrow - that's if I'm hosting Guillaume's dinner party. We'll see.

This afternoon we went to Carrefour, a French supermarket. It was huge. I think we spent at least two hours there and we didn't even buy that much stuff. We bought two cheeses imported from France for $15 (that's really expensive here!). We also bought a bottle of French wine. The guy helping us choose our wine was French! It was so cool talking to another French guy, plus none of us had any idea what wine we shoudl get... We want to have a good French feast!

We also found a 2 kwai store. 6 kwai = 1 Cdn dollar, so 2 kwai is equivalent to 30-35 cents. Katia found a map of China and I saw some things that I might buy, but I wasn't sure if I should...always the same thing...

Tonight we're going to make Guillaume's poster. We took pictures of fifteen of his friends and we're going to sew them onto a piece of cloth that we bought today and we'll write some notes...sounds terrible the way I'm describing it, but I'm sure it'll turn out OK. We're trying to be creative here. Plus, he'd only tear a poster. This way, if it's on cloth, he'll be able to pack it up and take it with him without too much hassle when he goes back to France.

Hope you're all being as creative wherever you are. If you want to check out something really creative, go to Lucas' webcomic, where Cinn departs....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home