Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Week 3

I've corrected the blogs that were screwed up. I hope you can read them now. Please tell me the titles of the blogs that can't be read (in an email since I can't read comments) and I'll do my best...

The university has loudspeakers throughout the campus and plays music sporadically, especially at lunch time. It's Erwai's radio station (the name of my university is Erwai) and right now (4:55 PM) it's really loud...

Yesterday (Monday) morning, I awoke around 6 AM to this terrible noise...I think it was the pipes inside the wall that were creaking or something. It was terrible! It lasted a good 15 or 20 minutes and I really wondered whether I should go to the trouble of getting dressed and going downstairs to the office to complain. It eventually stopped (it was super loud!) and it didn't happen again this morning.

Sunday evening I went to watch an acrobatics show with Veronique (my cousin) and two students from France doing their first year of an Economics degree (I think). Their classes are in English and sometimes even in Chinese. First of all, their English isn't great and they don't have any Chinese, so they're not really understanding their classes for the moment...

We went into the city to watch the acrobatics show which was absolutely amazing. Non-stop amazement. Most of the seats were empty and those that weren't were filled with foreigners, of course. The show followed a traditional fashion I suppose: contortionists, jugglers, guys who jump through hoops, girls who twirl saucers while doing gymnastics, guys who climb poles and do gymnastics on them, a very young boy tight-rope walker (super!), and it was all in all spectacular. Thank you Veronique! Veronique is my cousin who's been living in Beijing for eight years and speaks Mandarin well. She had other things to do after the show, so Gaitan and Katia (the French students) and I went to have dinner in a random Chinese restaurant. We were home by around 11 PM.

Ordering in restaurants is always an adventure. Last Thursday, Guillaume, Melanie and I were in the "Pink Door" restaurant (so-called because it has a pink door, but in fact it has a totally different name, I just call it that because I can), where we ordered "Fried Chicken in lemon sauce" (this is what was written on the menu - sounds good, right?). When the dish arrived we were sure the restaurant had made a mistake - banana slices surrounded by a thin layer of fried chicken pieces, albeit in a lemon sauce! The restaurant had forgotten to put the slightest of details on their menu - the fact that the dish was mainly made up of BANANAS!!! Luckily Guillaume enjoyed it and ate most of it.

I haven't made any food in my room yet. Too depressing. Not enough equipment. Apparently our apartments will be ready October 15th now...they keep postponing the date, it's terrible! The teachers who were here before had been told upon moving out that they would be able to move back in on August 21st. When they actually do move in, they'll have been waiting almost two months more than expected!

I hope you guys are enjoying your lives.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fried bananas in chicken. interesting combo.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Yay! I can read my comments! Thanks a lot, Cheryl! Yes..."interesting combo" is right! And don't forget the lemon sauce...yuck is right!!!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home