Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Internet in my room

YIPPEEE! I've got internet in my room! Finally...

Problem is, I have to lie on the floor to reach my computer because the internet connection is near the ground and my cable's not long enough to allow me to raise my computer higher than half a metre. Get a new (longer) cable you say, yes, but supposedly I'm moving out of here within a week so I guess I can survive with lying down to type for the time being... I put a comfortable blanket on the ground and it's alright...

Mondays are OK because I've got a great afternoon class. They're the adult continuing education students and they're eager and disciplined and super nice. I really enjoy teaching them. Tuesdays are hard because I'm tired from Monday and I still have to teach six hours... You may think six hours is nothing, but six hours on your feet, constantly having to be aware of what's going on, keeping students interested, is hard work. Wednesday went really well last week, with my new first year classes (I have two), Thursday less well, and Friday not so well...I re-do the same class Tuesday afternoon, Wed, Thurs, and Fri morning, so by Friday I'm a little less enthusiastic...

OK! Pictures! Yay! With internet in my room I can send you pictures everyday. But I have so many I don't know which to choose...

Well I decided there wasn't much more "Beijing-ish" than me infront of dear Mao. This was taken the first week-end I was here, when I spent the evening with my cousin, Veronique. Tiananmen Square is beautiful at night. Saw lots of kite-flyers. Bought a map of Beijing that's very useful. Even has bus numbers on it. Amazing.

I'm starting to learn Chinese - kind of. I told myself it's been a month, I should start making an effort...yeah right. So I started with the numbers 1-10, 100, and 1000. My pronunciation sucks, but I can write the characters (I race myself - I should time myself!). I also know how to write and say "me" - wo (with the fourth tone, which goes down then up, thank you very much). I'm trying to make Chinese a priority, but I'm usually tired and not really up for it. Sucks. I taught my student "sucks" this week. They think it's funny.

One big problem: internet connection is unbelievably SLOW here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home