Friday, March 03, 2006

People Pictures

Here's a picture of me, Nicole, and Xiao Sheng's cousin's 7-year-old son at a park in Guangzhou. The elephants behind us are made of small tinted glass bottles.

We went to the beach in ZhanJiang - we were chauffeured there in a sleek black car by Xiao Sheng's father's company chauffer. I rode a camel. My hands smelled atrociously for a couple of days afterwards, no matter how many times I washed them.
Yang Yang riding a horse - he was really very good at it. Apparently he rides horses in Inner Mongolia, where he comes from.
We drove around on these little all-terrain vehicles, which was quite fun. The beach was pretty deserted, which was nice. In green is Yang Yang (20), that's my head, and Nicole's standing between me and Xiao Sheng, who's 22.
After the beach we went strawberry picking in a field beside the street that led back home in ZhanJiang. It was fun and the berries were delicious, although technically "forbidden" since we aren't supposed to eat fruit that we can't peel or that hasn't been washed in non-tap water.
In the evening we went out with Xiao Sheng's "ge-ge" or "older brother," who's actually his cousin. We went walking by the beach and he took a picture of us in a cool-looking tree.
A pic of us with Xiao Sheng's cousin in front of a lit-up military boat that was renovated into a restaurant/bar-type place.
Xiao Sheng let us ride his scooter, but we didn't go far - it takes some getting used to!
We're right outside his residential building, built for his father's company's employees. I'm in front of a public garden where the residents can grow their own vegetables.
Us on the bus. Xiao Sheng's in red.
Yang Yang and Xiao Sheng in a taxi, I think it is. Yang Yang is wearing the "Canada" Roots toque I bought for him as a present.
Xiao Sheng and Yang Yang could fall asleep anywhere, I swear, no matter how loud or how shaky!
My students and I on the beach at a beautiful bay near Sanya, in southern Hainan.
A picture taken from our hotel window of restaurant workers preparing vegetables for the evening meal. They're in a courtyard just outside our hotel.
Nicole and I in front of some boulders found at what Chinese people call "The End of the Earth." It wasn't very impressive. Nicole and I had been expecting cliffs and beautiful scenery as if we were in Ireland or something, but it wasn't at all what we expected. Just a few rocks with Chinese written on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home