Thursday, March 30, 2006

Last minute decisions

So my boss had told me I should give my second-year students three practice exams before they take the real IELTS exam in June, and for this I could use up all my class time and even have other teachers helping me give the practice exams.

So a month ago I prepare the exam schedule and tell my boss how many teachers I'll need and when. I tell my second-year students when to come. I prepare them for the exam.

Next week I'm to start giving them practice exams, when my boss calls me last night: "Caroline, we had a meeting yesterday. The teachers don't like the idea that you won't be teaching the students any more oral English. They're ready to help you give the students a practice IELTS exam but only once, when all the students are given the exam together, and at the end of the month."

I was so happy at the idea of not having to teach these huge classes anymore. I enjoy teaching my first year students a lot more, I've got to admit. Giving these practice exams was my boss's idea, I gave him my schedule a month ago, and he tells me a few days before I was going to start giving practice exams that I've got to change my whole plan, and start preparing for another three months of classes... *sigh*

And what will I look like in front of my students, who have been told for the past three weeks that they won't have class, and just need to come once a month to practice their exam? This is all such a joke...

2 Comments:

Blogger tedzsee said...

that's pretty dumb, indeed.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

practice exam is worse than a class : i just spent all day giving a practice exam : 8 hrs. awful. luckily there was a good demonstration tonight... we left bastille around 9pm, 300 of us, got to opera about 2000, & made it though tear gassed to the left bank, bvd st germain, luxembourg, sénat, bvd st germain st michel, re-tear gas & home, 1am. time for bed.
claire

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home