Sunday, January 08, 2006

Last Day...

Well, it's my last day in Beijing before my two-week return to Vancouver. I leave at 4 o'clock in the afternoon Beijing time on Monday, January 9th, and arrive in Vancouver the same day but at 11 o'clock in the morning... The wonders of modern transportation and its effects on time.

Friday night we went to Yu Dong Yi Shang - a nightclub we've been to twice before, the last time for the reggae night. The same live reggae group was there but we arrived right at the end of their show (around midnight?) and mostly danced to recorded music. We came home at 4 AM.

Not such a good idea because the next day (Saturday) it was Jean-Baptiste's 22nd birthday (well, he's turning 22 on Thursday) and Bob had prepared an awesome evening for him. We went to a Chinese restaurant where Bob had chosen an amazing array of delicious dishes ahead of time so that when we arrived everything was already ready. JB had brought four bottles of cider and we had bought a bottle of Chinese champagne (20 RMB for 1.5 L - $4 Cdn). Chinese champagne is really cider disguised in a champagne bottle.

After dinner we went to the local KTV/brothel. You pass by the dancefloor and go through a room full of women waiting on sofas before entering the "rooms" area and then going up some stairs to the KTV place. We sung in Chinese and English. I'd like to learn a Chinese song by heart before I leave in July. That'd be cool.

We left the KTV place around 11:30 PM to go to Bar Blu, a night club in the Sanlitun area. It was the first time I went there. It's not a bad club, but we were too hot on the dance floor. The music is top 40 stuff from the 80s, 90s and 00s. Lots of classic favourites that get everybody singing and dancing. There's a terrace on the top floor that must be cool to go to in the summer.

We've been delivered new furniture. I'm glad because my bed was falling apart (the head post would fall everytime I moved). Now I can actually hang my clothes in my closet and close the closet doors. Yay. Thing is, in classic Chinese style, they started something and didn't finish. I have a huge TV and a table waiting to be assembled in my entrance. I have two halves of a chair in the middle of my living room waiting to be put together! It's that bad...

Plus, they're going to take away some of the old stuff that I want to keep! Like the comfy arm chairs: even though they're a scandalous yellow and purple I've gotten used to them.

This morning I was woken up at 8:30 AM by the super loud chattering of the cleaning ladies right outside my room. They even turned on some music! Hello! It's Sunday morning!

I got a haircut yesterday with Katia. We went to the same place right outside north gate where the hair stylist greeted me with my Chinese name! I was able to have a semblance of a conversation. No, I won't flatter myself, it didn't resemble a conversation at all, but at least I was able to say two or three sentences which I wasn't able to say a month ago...

I'll spend most of my day cleaning and packing and asking my students to write a letter stating all the furniture I want to keep :-)

Hope to see most of you very soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home