Thursday, December 08, 2005

A game of billiards

I was supposed to work all afternoon...instead I spent it with my two students, Yang Yang and Xiao Sheng (AKA Kobe). I'll most likely be spending half of my winter break with them too, in the south of China. After lunching together in one of the cafeterias, they came over to my place where we talked, studied Chinese, played different card games, and finally had dinner with Katia and Guillaume at the Pink Door (Korean restaurant right outside North Gate) around 8:30 PM! After dinner we had a game of billiards; Bob and Jean-Baptiste joined us later.
Xiao Sheng, me & Yang Yang. My mother wanted to see what I looked like with the haircut I got a couple weeks ago...
Yang Yang and Xiao Sheng goofing around, as usual. YY's 20, XS's 22. I found out today that XS actually failed his first year in the HND program, so he's re-doing his first year.
Bob taking a shot, with J-B and YY looking on. Bob's really good - he can put in four or five balls in a row.
Jean-Baptiste taking a shot, while Guillaume and Yang Yang pose for my camera...
Bob's concentrating. I think he missed this shot and blamed me :-)
I loved the fact that YY would play with a cigarette dangling from his mouth... He plays it oh-so-cool!!!
Xiao Sheng enjoying himself...
J-B at the beginning of the game...lots of balls still on the table.
I cropped the photo to get Bob's "tiger" expression - so funny! He never cracks a smile while playing.

I won a lot during the card games this afternoon. Beginner's luck.

Yang Yang learned that his younger brother decided to join the army this week. Apparently the Chinese army is not the place you want to be, but his bro didn't like studying (he was going to become some sort of electrician which is a profession in huge demand right now, especially in and around Beijing).

Tomorrow I've got to really get down to work! Yikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home