Friday, October 20, 2006

Yamikasi

It has been a while...I'm waiting for the cable between my camera and my computer (which I left in Guangdong Province and my student's cousin's new wife brought back to Beijing with her, but I have yet to get it back from her...) to download pix of the wedding and show you what my trip to the south of China was like.

In the meantime: I watched a movie (in Beijing - fake DVD) I had forogotten I had already watched while in France on vacation five years ago called Yamikasi. It's about a group of guys who climb buildings...without any equipment. Well, these type of people really do exist, and if you hurry and watch today's news in Marseille, France, you'll catch a glimpse of today's Yamikasis... Really quite interesting. If you visit this site too late (maybe it's changed), you can see some pix of what they do:



Guess it's not only "residents only." :-)
They use the urban city as their playground - nothing is too challenging, they can do it all!

In other news: on campus I watched a group of Chinese workers build a wall around a future building site. The wall was made of bricks and didn't look very strong, but then it was plastered in a black cement-like material which made it smooth and alright-looking, and then they painted it a bright green, which made it quite respectable and all. However, just a slight problem - they hadn't let in the machines that were going to help the workers build the future site!!! So how do you solve such a problem??? Well...in China you simply break the newly-built wall down! Yes indeed, they broke a huge hole in their wall to let through the machines and simply built the wall right back up afterwards - and cemented it and painted it (I suppose they'll break it up again once the building is done to let the machines out again...so funny...). Ahlala, China, China, China...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home