Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Wushu

This afternoon my Chinese friend, Zou Chuan Jun (let's say Jun for short), met up with me all happy, telling me his friend had already bought him a stamp and that he had even gotten me a stamp as well (I had told him I needed to buy stamps). It was truly touching. But then, of course, the stamp was for China, not for Canada, and I wanted ten stamps, not one, so...to the post office we went.

Problem: neither one of us knew where the post office was. So I stopped someone on campus and asked them - in English - where the post office was, and we found it easily enough. Jun wanted to stay outside while I went to buy my stamps! The whole point of going with him was so he could ask in Chinese for me! So I insisted he come with me...

Conclusion: funnily enough, with a Chinese person in tow, I rely more on myself and my English (and very poor Chinese) rather than on the Chinese person.

Wushu was great! We ended up practicing in my living room. I didn't think I'd break a sweat but I certainly did! It's quite demanding even though it looks more like a graceful dance than martial arts. I don't remember any of it, but it was really fun. I'll certainly continue. The routine Jun taught me apparently lasts ten minutes! I learned maybe the first thirty moves or so - maybe I'm being optimistic. I think what we did today lasts less than a minute! Oh well...

Went grocery shopping. Dental floss doesn't exist here. Neither does deodorant (it's very hard to find). I bought a broom. My place gets super dirty super easily. I feel like I spend all my time cleaning my marble floors...

Hope class goes well tomorrow. Hope your days go well too. Good luck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Caroline, now I can talk to you about wushu and you'll know what I'm talking about. Maybe you'll show me a few moves when you get back.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Geneviève said...

Caroline! C'est Geneviève... devine qui m'a donné l'addresse de ton blog!

Wushu sounds fascinating, I want to know more now. Last summer I tried Tai Chi with my retired chinese aunt in a park in Kelowna. She was the only asian in the group! (not counting half of me)

I hope your hunt for floss and deodorant were successful in the end... supposedly asians don't stink, and so don't need it (the deodorant, I mean. Regarding floss, I'm sure stuff gets stuck in their teeth just as much as in ours!) I've even been told they think Westerners all smell like spoilt milk. Go figure!

I'll be checking back here often - I'm hooked!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

C'est sympa d'avoir pris le temps de venir et d'avoir ecrit qqchose! Enjoy!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chinese do have bad teeth...
I would know. :)

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home