Saturday, October 22, 2005

I'm half-watching CNN at the moment. In my new apartment I have access to some international channels: Arabic, Spanish, Japanese, French (TV5), German, and CNN.

Sometimes my internet doesn't work. It wasn't working earlier, but then it works again, so I don't bother complaining.

Heating started today. I got the remote control to adjust the temperature of my apartment yesterday. It's getting quite chilly in the evenings and I still don't have winter clothes. Maybe I'll die.

Watched a dance competition organised by the university last night. The auditorium seats 900 and it was packed - lots of people standing at the back. It was pretty cool. There were groups and also individuals (8 competitors in total) and some of them weren't bad. There were professional guests invited - a couple who danced salsa beautifully, it was a joy to watch! And a group of breakdancers that were too cool for school (baggy clothing and baseball caps). They were lots of fun to watch.

Went clubbing yesterday at Club 7 (in the area of Sanlitun - the international bar district - on a street called "Ladies' street") - it was mostly foreigners and rich Chinese. Entrance fee was 50 kwai so only the elite could go... We were a group of twelve: Gaetan, Katia, Guillaume, Loic (all French), JiWoon (Katia's Korean roommate), JiWoon's Chinese friend called Emily, Bob and Maisy (Chinese friends), Tom (British - an English teacher), Matt (American - an English teacher), and Loic's new friend that he met over the internet and saw for the first time last night; she's French (from Toulouse) and is doing an internship for a real estate company in Beijing and her name is Laure. Gaetan was super drunk and was dancing crazily with everybody. I left early (1:30 AM) with Tom, who was also super drunk, it was kinda weird.

China loves marble. It's everywhere - in banks and in our apartments. It gets dirty super easily. There's a lot of dust, but also mud gets spread on the ground. It's annoying. I'm constantly cleaning.

Saddam Hussein's trial has begun - but then was adjourned until November because the defense hadn't been allowed to see the evidence in time to prepare properly. And now one of the lawyers representing one of Hussein's co-conspirators (one of the lawyers representing Hussein's side)has been found dead. This is going to be another one of those super drawn-out, super expensive processes. You can always check out the CBC link: http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/10/21/saddam-trial051021.html

What's happening in Pakistan is a real-life horror story. Thinking about it depresses me so I don't. It's not the answer but it's a way for me to continue living with myself.

On that note I hope you're all well and happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home