Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Nice day

I'd like to say bye to Justin, who left Monday for California, where he's going to spend - if he likes it - two years studying theology. I wish him the best of luck.

Today I finally got my visa (tourist, that is)! It's in my passport and it looks great - it's got the Great Wall on it. I went downtown and did some shopping - mostly for underwear. I decided spur of the moment (because I knew I was going to do a lot of shopping) to get a Bay card and get 10% off everything for this one day. I took the opportunity to buy some Clinique moisturizer for my mother, and the Clinique lady sat me down and did a test on me to show me all these other (very cool) products. I was proud of myself and only came out of there with three little boxes in my bag - $100 more in debt.

I was stupid and thought it was 4 o'clock when really it was only 3, so I arrived an hour early for my doctor's appointment. Luckily she was able to see me an hour early! I started reading the books I got at Chapter's earlier: Insight City Guide for Beijing, and Lonely Planet's China. I spent a while checking out the guide books while I had been at Chapter's. There's a beautiful Eyewitness guide for China that looks so absolutely amazing, but I had to be practical, and Lonely Planet is the practical choice.

I went to Bin 942 for dinner this evening - the one on Broadway and Granville. It's not that great. I don't know why everyone raves about it. And it's pricey (yay for gentlemen acting like gentlemen). I had the beef carpaccio with popcorn and Pierre had the Bento box with elk stew and avacado salad (it was good!). Their mashed potatoes are delicious. Their pommes frites, as they call them, are...interesting. Very skinny and long and doused with a sweet brown sauce. The decor is nice - they've got lava lamps and mirrors and big vases with big bouquets. And the service was friendly. We went early (6-7 PM) in order to make it to our movie - MY DATE WITH DREW.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars (maybe 3 1/2)
I hadn't realized this is about a no-namer wanting a date with Drew Berrymore - I had just heard that it was a good date movie (and it is!). Kind of slow in the beginning but there are some hilarious moments and all in all, you really root for the guy, and the ending is sweet. I recommend it. But like one of the people in the movie says, "I hope it [the project of making a movie trying to get a date with Drew] is a success for you, but I hope for America it's a failure," meaning it's a new low in American culture. Ah well, it's entertainment, what can I say. And I go to the movies to be entertained, first and foremost.

I also had gelato and a nice walk in the rain (I discovered not many people walk in the rain - even in Vancouver). Probably my last time having gelato.

I enjoyed my day. A big thank you to Pierre for making my day so special. I know it's sappy but it's true...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home